The Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA) consortium is doing a pilot program during the 2013-2014 academic year that allows you to go to any participating Virginia college or university and borrow books directly. Just show your Hokie Passport and proof of current status (faculty/staff directory or current student status in MyVT.) You'll be issued a borrower card from that library (loan periods and other borrowing privileges vary by library).
This can be a useful service if you are travelling or away from campus for a break. Remember, you can also borrow books from other Virginia libraries through interlibrary loan.
- Students, faculty, and staff at VIVA institutions may request to borrow materials from any participating library.
- The lending library can withhold borrowing privileges from any patrons who do not comply with institutional policies and procedures.
- Borrowers must present a valid form of photo identification, such as an institutional ID, as well as proof of current status in order to borrow materials. This proof of current status, such as a student showing his or her course schedule or a faculty/staff member showing an entry in a faculty/staff directory, can be facilitated by participating libraries using the Universal Borrowing Current Status web page.
- Loan periods and limitations on the number of items that can be borrowed at one time will be determined by the lending library.
- Renewals are at the discretion of the lending library.
- The lending library can set different loan periods for different item types, and it determines which item types can be borrowed through this program.
- The borrower is responsible for returning items to the lending library.
- The item is not considered returned until it is checked in at the lending library. The borrower will be responsible for any fines that accrue even if the item was returned to the home library before the due date.
Fines and fees
- The borrower is responsible for any fines that accrue on materials held past their due dates.
- The borrower is responsible for paying for materials that are lost or damaged.