- Cutting edge computing facilities in the main campus (Blacksburg) and in the National Capital Region (Alexandria). Additionally, we have a number of well-equipped research and teaching facilities (including GIS-based computer labs) in several buildings and departments across the main campus.
- High bandwidth, secure network connectivity, and powerful servers connect these offices and provide state-of-art GIS research support to CGIT staff and affiliated faculty.
CEARS focuses on three pressing priorities, namely
- to further our understanding of the earth's major biogeochemical cycles,
- to improve understanding of the factors affecting biological diversity and ecosystem structure and functioning, and
- to develop a systematic understanding of changes in land uses and land cover that are critical to ecosystem functioning and services and human welfare.
CMI was established to better address multi-disciplinary research questions that affect conservation management effectiveness in Virginia, North America, and the world. Faculty from Virginia Tech and other research institutions work collaboratively on projects ranging from endangered species propagation to natural resource-based satellite imagery interpretation.
Computer labs with GIS-related software
- Torgersen 1010 & 1080 – are teaching labs during the day, but usually open to any student in the evening assuming there are no classes being taught.
- Torgersen 3300 – Electronic Consulting Room also known as entrance to "The Bridge", library services in Torgersen include a classroom, a Library Information Desk with Self Checkout machine, and a number of specialized CD-ROMs, DVDs, and connections to selected library databases along with several computer workstations and scanners.
- Major Williams Hall - The Geography department houses the GIS Laboratory as the primary resource for the entire Geography department.
- Newman Library 2030 – Geospatial Data Consulting – services offered to anyone who is looking for geospatial or any related research.
- Architecture Annex Computer Lab - has 25 computers loaded with the ESRI and Autodesk products.