ASABE standards | ASME standards | ASTM standards | IEEE standards | SAE J standards | Military specifications | Ordering standards from ILL | Standard indexes
We have access to many standards online or in our print collection. Any standards not part of our collections can be requested through interlibrary loan.
Many ASABE standards are available through the
ASABE Technical Library
where you can search or browse.
ASME standards are available as a request through interlibrary loan. Virginia Tech has selected holdings of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code in hardcopy at TJ290 A52 in the Reference Room.
The most recent editions of these standards can be found online in the
ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library
as PDFs. Historical and superceded version can be found in print in the Annual Book of ASTM standards, located in the Reference Room, at call # TA401 A653 (for the 2010 edition with earlier editions in the 5th floor stacks at the same call number). See the ASTM Ref Sheet for more information.
IEEE Xplore Digital Library
to find IEEE standards from 1948 to present (updated monthly). You can browse by standard number or search by keyword.
An IEEE standard is a document authored under the IEEE-standards Association standards Development Process from Project Authorization Request through to IEEE-standards Association Standards Board Approval. However, there are other standards distributed via IEEE Xplore, namely C63, C136, etc. standards, that are Accredited Standards Committee (ASC) standards, and which do not follow the definition outlined above. An ASC standard is a document authored by a standards developing organization other than the IEEE, for which the IEEE holds secretariat responsibility.
SAE J standards
All SAE publications can be requested through interlibrary loan. See the SAE Ref Sheet for more information.
Military specifications (and other standards) can be searched through the IHS Standards Store. This IHS database indexes standards from many organizations worldwide. We no longer have a subscription to this database, so you won't be able to download full-text standards unless you pay for them yourself. Instead, you can use this database to verify standards information to request via interlibrary loan.
Standards not available from the above sources will be ordered and paid for by the library. The following guidelines apply:
- In general, you should request the item through Interlibrary Loan, using the special standards button on the ILL request page, BUT,
- If you want the item placed on Reserve, please place your order through your college librarian so the item can be added to the library collection.
- If you need RUSH service on an item, please contact your college librarian. Do not request RUSH service for these items directly through Interlibrary Loan
- Most of the time the standard will become your property, but the library retains the right to place any purchased item in the collection.
- Only faculty and grad students may request standards.
- Limits of $300/item and $500/year/requester will apply
Searchable standards indexes
In general, full-text standards are not available free on the Web. The following links provide information on standards, as well as searchable indexes.
- ANSI - American National Standards Institute
- This is the coordinating body for standards in the U.S.
- Codes and Standards
- Sponsored by ASME, this site offers information on ME related standards.
- A commercial provider of industry standards.
- IEEE standards info
- Info about IEEE standards, the IEEE standards process, and the status of IEEE standards.
- A commercial provider of industry standards.
- ISO - International Standardization Organization
- Information about ISO, as well as a searchable catalog.
- ITU - International Telecommunication Union
- List of standards currently in force, as well as forthcoming recommendations.
- National Institute of standards and Technology (NIST)
- Affiliated with the U.S. Department of Commerce, primarily concerned with measurement standards.
- NISO - National Information standards Organization
- Provides standards about information retrieval, metatdata, etc. in free PDF format online!
- NSSN - National standards System Network Prototype.
- Provided by ANSI, this site offers an integrated search engine for standards from many sources.
- Online standards Documentation
- A compiled list of various online standards resources.
- OSHA - Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- A searchable resource of OSHA related standards and regulations.
- Commercial standards supplier.
- UL standards - Underwriters Laboratories
- UL standards adopted by the American National standards Institute. Individual standards are listed under Underwriters' Laboratories as a corporate author. Select standards of safety are also available.
- W3C - World Wide Web Consortium
- W3C contributes to efforts to standardize Web technologies by producing specifications (called "recommendations") that describe the building blocks of the Web, such as HTML and XML.