NOTE: A picture ID is required to pick up any ILL materials held for you at the Circulation Desk in the Newman Library. Books must be returned to the ILL bin at the Circulation Desk; media materials, microfilm/fiche, and other fragile items should be returned directly to Circulation Desk staff.
We deliver loaned items and article photocopies/scans to you by two different methods. The method we use for any particular item depends on the nature of the item and the options you choose when you register with ILLiad.
- Delivery Location - the location where you will pick up any items that are held for you.
- Loan Delivery Method -whether you want a book or other returnable item held for you at your chosen delivery location or shipped to your address. Shipping of returnable items is available only to Extended Campus addresses outside the New River Valley counties of Montgomery, Giles, and Pulaski.
- Article Delivery Method - whether you want article photocopies that cannot be delivered electronically to be held for you at your chosen delivery location or mailed to your address. .
- Hold for Pickup - We send your loaned items to the delivery location you choose.
- Mail to Campus Address - Available for faculty members in participating Newman Book Runner departments. Books are generally delivered the next business day after receipt by ILL to departmental offices; media materials such as DVDs, videos, music, and microfilm must be picked up at the Circulation Desk in Newman Library.
- Mail to Street Address -For addresses outside the New River Valley counties of Montgomery, Giles, and Pulaski, we send your loaned items by express courier (such as FedEx or UPS) to the address you specify in your ILLiad personal information. Note that these couriers cannot deliver to post office (P.O.) boxes. We include a prepaid return address label that you may use to return the loaned item to us by first class mail without cost to you. Please see our instructions for Returning Borrowed Items before mailing items back to us.
** Please retain the ILLiad identification sticker on the borrowed item so we can correctly identify it when you return it, in addition to any attached bookstrap. Patrons with missing bookstraps will be assessed a $5.00 fee.
** Articles, whether electronic or in paper format, are yours to keep. **
- Electronic Delivery - Most articles borrowed through Interlibrary Loan from other libraries will be delivered electronically. Additionally, all photocopies of locally-owned articles for delivery to Extended Campus users are delivered electronically.
- Electronic articles are posted to your ILLiad account. You can access the article by logging on to ILLiad, and clicking the button labeled "Electronic Delivery."
- ILLiad retains each electronic photocopy in your account for 30 days from its original delivery date, after which time it will be automatically deleted.
- If you choose to delete the item it will be removed immediately from your account.
- Should you delete an item by mistake, please contact us and we can restore the deleted item to your account if the normal retention period has not yet expired.
For articles that can not be sent electronically, you can choose the delivery options.
- Hold for Pickup -We send to your chosen delivery location those articles that cannot be delivered electronically.
- Mail to Address - We mail your photocopies that cannot be delivered electronically to the address you specify in your ILLiad personal information.
- Blacksburg customers - For most rapid service, we recommend that you specify your campus mail address and campus postal code for your address.
You may choose one of these locations for receiving your loans or any printed articles held for pickup:
- Circulation Desk, Newman Library - You may pick up items at the Circulation Desk in Newman Library during business hours.
- Your loans are held until the due date specified by the lending library.
- Photocopied articles are held for one month after we notify you of their arrival.
- Northern Virginia Center - Please check with the staff at the Resource Center at the Northern Virginia Center to determine when and where items can be picked up.
- Veterinary Medicine - Please check with the staff at the Vet Med Library to determine when and where items can be picked up.
Special loan restrictions
Lending libraries sometimes place special restrictions on the use of loaned items, such as:
- Library Use Only- The lending library will NOT allow the item to be taken from Newman Library.
- This means you may still check out the item, but you may NOT remove the item from Newman Library.
- When returning the item, please notify the Circulation Desk whether you are finished with the item and it can be returned, or whether you want to hold it for further use.
- When this restriction is imposed by the lending library, we will not be able to mail the item to you if you are an Extended User.
- No Renewals - The lending library will NOT allow renewals.
- These items must be returned by the original due date.
- No Photocopying - The lending library will NOT allow the item to be photocopied due to copyright restrictions on the item, or possible damage to the item during photocopying.
- Please honor this restriction so we may retain our borrowing privileges with the lending institution.