We receive more than thousands of lending requests each year from nearly 2,500 libraries. Our lending policies and other pertinent information are below.
Items owned by the Virginia Tech libraries are available for loan through normal interlibrary loan channels according to the policies described here. Please submit your requests through OCLC (symbol VPI), DOCLINE, or standard ALA ILL form (sent to us by mail or fax). You may also submit requests via ILLiad web-based accounts by contacting our Lending unit at 540-231-3044 or emailing us.
P.O. Box 90001
Blacksburg, Virginia 24062-9001
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
- ILL Lending: 540-231-3044
- ILL Borrowing: 540-231-4269
- Odyssey: 188.8.131.52
- We lend returnable items for 56 days (8 weeks).
- Renewals are NOT allowed.
- The billing process for non-returned items starts two months after the due date.
- International requests are handled on an individual basis. We do NOT lend books overseas.
- We lend all returnable items free of charge to in-state and out-of-state libraries.
- You may request RUSH shipment of loans via UPS. Please supply your UPS account number to us if you wish to pay for RUSH delivery.
- We fill free of charge all article requests from Virginia non-commercial institutions and from ASERL libraries participating in the ASERL ILL Reciprocal Agreement.
- All other organizations, including out-of-state academic libraries that do not participate in the ASERL ILL Reciprocal Agreement, as well as commercial and government entities, will be charged a flat fee of $15.00 per article.
- RUSH article requests are charged a flat fee of $15.00 per article.
- International requests require prepayment of the $15.00 flat fee, as well as $0.07 a page for shipping. Please contact Lending unit for more information at 540-231-3044.
What circulates through ILL?
Virginia Tech Interlibrary Loan circulates:
- Theses/Dissertations prior to 1997 that have not been converted to scanned electronic format.
[Virtually all theses and dissertations dated after 1/1/1997, and those pre-1997 theses and dissertations that have been selected for scanning, are available only in electronic format from Virginia Tech's Electronic Theses and Dissertations page. About 35% of the electronic theses and dissertations are NOT available outside of VPI and cannot be printed out for ILL purposes.]
- Audio-visual materials (subject to review on case by case basis) with a one week loan period
- Software (subject to review on case by case basis)
- Newspapers on microfilm
- Maps (some items are non-circulating)
- AIAA binders (we prefer to send copies of specific papers if the numbers are provided)
- Journals (bound issues)
Items that do not circulate:
- Journals (current issues)
- Reference books
- Items in Popular Reading collection
- College catalogs
- We prefer to send all articles electronically via Odyssey or OCLC's Article Exchange .
- If you are using stand-alone Odyssey, please be sure that your Odyssey address is included in your OCLC request.
- Virginia Tech no longer uses Ariel to deliver files.