This guide provides a starting point to locate government resources on sustainable or renewable energy.
Getting started with library research | Overview of renewable or sustainable energy | Recommended engineering databases | Recommended environmental databases | Government resources | Statistical resources
- DOE Green Energy
- This portal provides technical documents from thousands of R&D projects conducted at Department of Energy's National Laboratories and by DOE-funded awards at universities DOE Green Energy contains both current and historical research, including bibliographic citations, technical reports and patent information on different types of renewable energy resources and energy conservation. Subject areas include but are not limited to solar, wind, bioenergy, hydroelectric, geothermal, tidal and wave power, and energy storage. An easy-to-use search box allows users to selectively download, at no cost, DOE bibliographic citations and associated detailed full-text research reports and patents focusing on renewable energy and energy efficiency science and technology. The website also includes a news feed provided by the DOE Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program.
- BLM - Renewable Energy Resources
- The U.S. Department of the Interior and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) are working with local communities, state regulators, industry, and other federal agencies in building a clean energy future by providing sites for environmentally sound development of renewable energy on public lands. Renewable energy projects on BLM-managed lands include wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass projects and the siting of transmission facilities needed to deliver this power to the consumer.
- EPA - Clean Energy Program
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Clean Energy Program is working with state policy makers, electric and gas utilities, energy customers, and other key stakeholders to identify, design and implement clean energy policy and technology solutions.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is the nation's primary laboratory for renewable energy and energy efficiency research and development (R&D). NREL develops renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies and practices, advances related science and engineering, and transfers knowledge and innovations to address the nation's energy and environmental goals.
- U.S. DOE Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE)
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE) sponsors various initiatives to build awareness about energy efficiency and renewable energy topics and to coordinate efforts toward specific goals.