Departmental Records Coordinators are responsible for assisting in the design, implementation, and management of the university records management program by serving as liaisons between their respective work units and the university’s designated records officer.
Records coordinators are formally appointed by a dean, director, or department head. Responsibilities include:
- Being familiar with Virginia Tech Policy 2000, the university’s internal records management policy
- Developing the unit’s records management procedures and practices, consistent with this policy
- Educating staff within the organizational unit in understanding sound record management practices
- Restricting access to confidential records and information
- Coordinating records destruction with the records officer as provided in the applicable procedures
The URIG web site has online forms for destruction and records center transfers, as well as official retention schedules and other information in support of the coordinator role.