Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Frequently asked questions

Records Management Services (RMS) is new to me how do I begin? 

Contact us. If you are new to Virginia Tech or your department and have never used RMS we will guide you through the process.

What is a record?

In the Code of Virginia § 42.1-77, the State defines a record as recorded information that documents a transaction or activity by or with any public officer, agency, or employee of an agency. Regardless of physical form or characteristic, the recorded information is a public record if it is produced, collected, received, or retained in pursuance of law or in connection with the transaction of public (i.e. official university) business. The medium upon which such information is recorded has no bearing on the determination of whether the recording is a public record.

In simple terms, a record is any official university business and any records qualifying as everyday business regardless of the medium.

How long do we keep records?

The length of time that original records (not copies) are retained is based upon the main purpose of the records (e.g. financial or personnel, etc.). The state has basic guidelines for the retention and disposition of records. The University Retention Schedule provides guidance. RMS can help guide you if you have questions about which code to use.

What records are eligible to be stored at RMS?

RMS stores inactive original records. Inactive records are records that are no longer actively used and have fulfilled their original purpose. These records must be retained per state retention code.

Active records are any records that are still in active use or needed for monthly or quarterly operations and must be stored in the appropriate place of business until they become inactive. Active Records are not stored at RMS.

What type of boxes should I use to pack up my records to be stored at RMS?

To assure that the boxes fit on our warehouse shelving, records must be stored in new standard sized “bankers” boxes with lids and handles. Boxes can be purchased from RMS using an ISR in Hokiemart or through local vendors.

RMS has two box sizes that fit on our warehouse shelves:

  • Full size box dimension: 10in h x12in w x15in d for $1.50 per box
  • Half size box dimension: 10in h x 6in w x 15in d for $1.00 per box

Am I required to transport my boxes to RMS?

Yes, you are responsible for transporting your record boxes. RMS does not deliver or pick up boxes. First, you must complete a records transfer request form online and receive labels for your boxes (labels are to be placed in lower right corner of the end of the box so file folder can be read when opening box lid). Then you are ready to transport. You can deliver the boxes yourself or fill out an ISR in Hokiemart for Moving and Hauling to transport for you. If you deliver the boxes yourself, please call RMS in advance.

What if I need to review my records in a box or a file once it is stored at RMS?

If you are a Records Coordinator or requester for your department, simply complete a retrieve record request service form online and mark one of the following:

  1. Temporarily return original folder to department
  2. Permanently return original folder to department
  3. Copy folder/file and send to department
  4. Pull folder/box and the department will pick up
  5. Review folder/box at Records Center
  6. Provide information on folder/box to department by phone or fax

What do I do with records I want to destroy?

All original records must receive a Certificate of Destruction prior to disposal! Visit our website and fill out a request for Certificate of Destruction. Make sure to fill in the dates of the records to be destroyed and the retention code that applies. If you are unsure of the code, fill out the certificate as much as possible and we will contact you once you have submitted the form. Every field or box must be filled in with something for the form to submit, so if you are not sure, put a question mark in the field. Upon receipt of the approved Certificate of Records Disposal form, non-confidential records can be disposed by trashing or recycling. Confidential records (those containing social security numbers or sensitive information) can only be destroyed by shredding. Departments may shred records after receiving a signed Certificate of Records Disposal. If you know that you want RMS to do your shredding with our industrial-size shredder, mark YES at the bottom of the Certificate of Records Disposal Form.

I need a Certificate of Destruction to dispose of copies of records?

No. Only the original document requires a Certificate of Destruction. Copies of records, which do not contain confidential information, can be disposed of as paper trash or deleted if they are electronic. Copies of records, which do contain confidential information, must be shredded or properly erased if they are electronic. See Virginia Tech Policy 2000 for guidance on confidential information.

Contact us

Records Management Services
600 Energy Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061

Mail code: 0522

Phone 540-231-0224



Office hours

Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm