Virginia Tech operating units on the main campus have access to free centralized paper records storage and reference services through the University Records Center, a university-owned facility with 20,000 linear feet of secure, climate-controlled, high-density records storage space.
The originating department retains ownership of records stored in the Records Center. Departments are responsible for approving the final destruction of the records (a process which occurs biannually, at the turn of the calendar and fiscal years). Folder-level reference services are available through campus mail.
Records transfer overview
- A Records Transfer Request must be completed online and sent to URIG.
- URIG reviews the transfer and issues box labels through campus mail.
- Transferring departments can deliver approved, labeled boxes in person or arrange for transport to the Records Center through the Moving & Hauling unit of Building Services; your department has the responsibility to deliver the boxes to Records Management within 30 days, or your transfer will be cancelled.
- Records must be packed in standard records center storage boxes appropriately sized for Records Center shelving.
- You will realize substantial savings by purchasing storage boxes from University Records and Information Governance. Boxes are available from URIG through Hokie Mart at $1.50 per standard box (10”H x 12”W x 15”D) and $1.00 per half sized box (10”H x 6”W x 15”D), and can be picked up at the Records Center.
- No hanging files are allowed unless they are laid horizontally in the box.
- Please place only one year's worth of one records series (one type of record) in each box
- When you receive your labels from URIG, affix them in the lower right hand corner on the short end of the box.