Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Extended campus services

Research and assignment assistance

Simple questions

Go to Ask a librarian chat and email service.

Subject specific questions

Contact your college librarian. A librarian is formally assigned to assist the faculty, staff, and students of every academic department.

AREC and Extension offices should contact the Agriculture Librarian (Inga Hausen).

Everything else

If unsure where to start or who to contact about any library service, please direct your questions to the distance education support group.

Obtaining library materials


Extended campus users request delivery of materials through the ILLiad service. ILLiad is an acronym for InterLibrary Loan internet accessible database.

The first time you Login to ILLiad you'll be prompted to create a profile in the system. There is no charge for the account or for items you request.

The ILLiad service defines extended-campus users geographically. If your mailing address is outside the New River Valley counties of Montgomery, Giles, and Pulaski, then you are an extended-campus customer. Returnables (books and other materials that are loaned to you - i.e., not photocopies) are sent with prepaid return mailing labels included in the packaging. You are responsible to return materials on time.

Faculty holding an OCLC reciprocal borrower's card can check out library materials from participating institutions. Northern Virginia libraries include: American, George Mason, Georgetown, George Washington, Howard, and the University of Maryland. Tidewater libraries include Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth.

    Get VText button

Get VText

When you search in a library database like Summon or one of the EBSCOhost databases and find citations that are not available as full text inside that database, you should see a Get VText button or link. The Get VText system will show what kind of access we have to the item in question: full-text, online access; print access to material in one of our libraries; or links to request a copy through ILLiad. Remember, as an extended campus user, you can have print materials mailed directly to you or have portions scanned via the Desktop Delivery service.

Checking your library activity

The Review Requests section of your ILLiad account will allow you to see 'Active Requests,' 'Checked Out Items,' and 'Request History.'

Choose 'Request History' to see a log of all previous requests. Choose 'Active' Requests' to view and edit your outstanding requests, including detailed request information and statuses. Choose 'Checked Out Items' to view or renew items that you have checked out that have been borrowed from another library.

If you have requested books that are owned by the Virginia Tech Libraries, once the books are mailed to you, the status on ILLiad changes from 'active' to 'completed' and the ILLiad tracking is done. Thereafter, to see which Virginia Tech books are still currently checked out, login to My Library Account within Addison (enter your name and student ID number). Note that books borrowed from other libraries will not appear on your Addison account in My Library Account, only books that belong to Virginia Tech.

Books borrowed from other libraries have a different identification label affixed to the front than books borrowed from the Virginia Tech Libraries. Books from other libraries are indicated as Virginia Tech Interlibrary Loan while books from Virginia Tech are indicated as ILL from Virginia Tech Collection (Extended Campus). Books borrowed from other libraries are generally not renewable, so there is a due date clearly indicated on the label. Books from the Virginia Tech collection are renewable.

Databases, ebooks, and ejournals

Of particular interest to extended-campus users may be the library's full-text online resources. In order to access them, you must be authenticated as being affiliated with Virginia Tech. See connecting from off-campus section for detailed instructions.

Some of the links on the University Libraries databases page are accessible from any of the participating VIVA institutions. Most of these institutions allow walk-in business.