Virginia Tech's Interlibrary Loan receives thousands of lending requests each year from nearly 2,500 libraries.
Items owned by the Virginia Tech libraries are available for loan through several channels that include:
- OCLC (symbol VPI)
- ALA ILL form (sent via email or fax)
- ILLiad web-based accounts by contacting our Lending unit at 540-231-3044.
- Theses/Dissertations prior to 1997 that have not been converted to scanned electronic format.
- Virtually all theses and dissertations dated after 1/1/1997, and those pre-1997 theses and dissertations that have been selected for scanning, are available only in electronic format from Virginia Tech's Electronic Theses and Dissertations page. Some electronic theses and dissertations are NOT available outside of Virginia Tech and cannot be printed out for ILL purposes.
- Audio-visual materials (subject to review on case by case basis) with a two week loan period, and UPS return shipping.
- Software (subject to review on case by case basis)
- Newspapers on microfilm
- Maps (some items are non-circulating)
- AIAA binders (we prefer to send copies of specific papers if the numbers are provided)
- Journals (bound issues)
Unfortunately we cannot loan:
- Current issues of journals
- Reference books
- Popular Reading Collection items
- College catalogs
University Libraries, Virginia Tech (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
- We lend returnable items for 8 weeks.
- Renewals are NOT allowed.
- The billing process for non-returned items starts two months after the due date.
- International requests for articles or book chapters are permitted contingent upon payment of fees. Unfortunately, we do not lend books to overseas libraries.
- We lend all returnable items free of charge to in-state and out-of-state libraries.
- You may request RUSH shipment of loans via UPS. Please supply your UPS account number to us if you wish to pay for RUSH delivery.
- We fill free of charge all article requests from VIVA Consortium members and other Virginia non-commercial institutions, in addition to ASERL Consortium libraries.
- All other organizations, including out-of-state academic libraries not in the ASERL Consortium and commercial and government entities, are charged a flat fee of $15.00 per article.
- International article requests require prepayment of the $15.00 flat processing fee.
- We prefer to send all articles electronically via Odyssey or OCLC's Article Exchange. Virginia Tech no longer uses Ariel to deliver files.