April 14, 2013 – As we approach the end of the semester, you may find you still need to use books you have checked out of the Virginia Tech libraries or books you've received from other libraries through interlibrary loan that are nearing their due dates. You can renew most checked out material online; some material cannot be renewed (Popular Reading books, bound journals, and DVDs cannot be renewed, but you can bring them to the circulation desk to be checked in and out again).
How patrons can renew their items, check their account, and find out why their items may not be renewing.
- Please make your request at least two days before the item is due so we may contact the lending library for permission to renew.
- Logon to ILLiad.
- Click the Renew/Checked Out Items link on the left menu to display everything checked under your username.
- Select the item that you want to renew by clicking the appropriate transaction number. You will then see detailed information about that request.
- Click the Request Renewal link at the top of the item transaction page. If there is no Request Renewal link, the lending library will not allow the loan to be renewed.
- After renewing a request, you will see a confirmation message at the top of the ILLiad screen.
- Once the item has been renewed, the due date will automatically reflect the two week renewal.
- We will notify you if the lending library makes the decision to not allow the renewal request.